Name:

Scale/Gauge:

Setting/Period:

Owner:

Size:

Walker’s Ridge

HO  3.5mm:1ft

Canadian, 1950’s

BPMRC

3.1m (10ft) by 1.25m (4ft)

Fixed
Portable
Under Construction
Operational
Retired/In Storage
Dismantled
Available for Exhibition

Walker’s Ridge is a remote settlement just north of the Canadian/US border. The year is 1952, and it still retains a railroad link with Canadian Pacific and Canadian National and the Great Northern and Northern Pacific Railroads, although the track further north was abandoned some time ago. In winter, the railroad is often the only connection available to the outside world.

WalkersRidge_TrackPlan-full

The area around Walker’s Ridge is very scenic, and from Spring through Fall, the area is popular with hikers, campers, canoeists and wildlife enthusiasts, so tourism is beginning to develop into a useful source of income for the locals. The local theatre survives, and most weeks manages to stage a film show, stage production or dance night.

 

Everyday needs are supplied by Scoulding’s Emporium, whose business motto is ‘If you need it, we’ve got it. If we ain’t got it, you don’t need it’. The local saw mill provides all the lumber needed locally, as well as a regular shipment out to other customers.

Layout operation is based on an imaginary week at Walker’s Ridge. In keeping with its supposed remote location, passenger services are handled by a single RDC (Rail Diesel Car) or a Gas-Electric rail car. Occasional freight trains bring in coal, fuel and other supplies for the community. The layout is a ‘shunting puzzle, and full use has to be made of the wye tracks to place the freight cars in the correct location for loading or unloading. On Sundays, tourist trains may visit Walker’s ridge, and these often have an open car or similar which needs turning on the wye before returning.  Train operation is by DCC control, and points are solenoid operated via a CDU.

 

Click here to see the full operating sequence……..   (This would go to a separate page with the operating sequence on it)

This layout is owned and maintained by Barry & Penarth Model Railway Club as a tribute to two late members, Captain W (Bill) Walker R.F.A. (retired) and Brian Scoulding.

 

The saw mill was built by Bill as a small diorama, and later given to Brian who, in 2002/3, incorporated it into a small railroad setting on a single baseboard, and named it ‘Walker’s Ridge’. It was exhibited in this form for a few years.

 

Brian donated the layout to BPMRC shortly before he succumbed to Motor Neurone Disease in November 2007. Club members have since added the wye board to create a ‘shunting puzzle’ layout.  The backscenes were painted by Club member David Woolnough.