Name:

Scale/Gauge:

Setting/Period:

Owner:

Size:

Bishops Folly

OO  4mm:1ft

GWR/BR(W), 1930/50’s

BPMRC

4.8m (16ft) by 2.5m (8ft)

Fixed
Checked
Under Construction
Operational
Retired/In Storage
Dismantled
Available for Exhibition

Bishops Folly is the temporary name we have given to a new 16 x 8 continuous run layout which comprises a double track main line and a yard with canal basin interchange.

Layout operation is based on an imaginary week at Walker’s Ridge. In keeping with its supposed remote location, passenger services are handled by a single RDC (Rail Diesel Car) or a Gas-Electric rail car. Occasional freight trains bring in coal, fuel and other supplies for the community. The layout is a ‘shunting puzzle, and full use has to be made of the wye tracks to place the freight cars in the correct location for loading or unloading. On Sundays, tourist trains may visit Walker’s ridge, and these often have an open car or similar which needs turning on the wye before returning.  Train operation is by DCC control, and points are solenoid operated via a CDU.

 

Click here to see the full operating sequence……..   (This would go to a separate page with the operating sequence on it)

This layout is owned and maintained by Barry & Penarth Model Railway Club as a tribute to two late members, Captain W (Bill) Walker R.F.A. (retired) and Brian Scoulding.

 

The saw mill was built by Bill as a small diorama, and later given to Brian who, in 2002/3, incorporated it into a small railroad setting on a single baseboard, and named it ‘Walker’s Ridge’. It was exhibited in this form for a few years.

 

Brian donated the layout to BPMRC shortly before he succumbed to Motor Neurone Disease in November 2007. Club members have since added the wye board to create a ‘shunting puzzle’ layout.  The backscenes were painted by Club member David Woolnough.